The Rules of Conflict, according to the various American forces...
US Army Rules
- Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
- Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.
- Have a plan.
- Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won't work.
- Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
- Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."
- Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
- Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral & diagonal preferred.)
- Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
- Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
- Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
- In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
- If you are not shooting, you should be communicating your intention to shoot...
Navy SEAL's Rules
- Look very cool in sunglasses.
- Kill every living thing within view.
- Adjust speedo.
- Check hair in mirror.
US Army Rangers Rules
- Walk in 50 miles wearing 75 pound rucksack while starving.
- Locate individuals requiring killing.
- Request permission via radio from "Higher" to perform killing.
- Curse bitterly when mission is aborted.
- Walk out 50 miles wearing a 75 pound rucksack while starving.
Marine Corps Rules
- Curse bitterly when receiving operational order.
- Make sure there is extra ammo and extra coffee.
- Curse bitterly.
- Curse bitterly
- Do not listen to 2nd Lieutenants, it can get you killed.
- Curse bitterly!
US Air Force Rules
- Have a cocktail.
- Adjust temperature on air conditioner.
- See what's on HBO.
- Ask "what is a gunfight?"
- Request more funding from Congress with a "killer" Power Point presentation.
- Wine & dine 'key' Congressmen, invite DOD & defense industry executives.
- Receive funding, set up new command and assemble assets.
- Declare the assets "strategic" and never deploy them operationally.
- Hurry to make 13:45 tee time.
- Make sure the base is as far as possible from the conflict but close enough to have tax exemption.
US Navy Rules
- Go to Sea.
- Drink Coffee.
- Deploy Marines